Open Studio is a creative development residency for emerging artists who need space to create a new work, develop an idea, or rehearse a project.
Residents in Open Studio will have access to free space in our rehearsal studio throughout the year, either spread-out over several weeks, or used in intense bursts, depending on what’s most effective for you.
Open Studio is an artist-led initiative that is development-focussed, allowing you to focus on process rather than outcome, no matter what stage your project may be at. We just want to help it grow.
Open Studio Residents will receive:
- Up to 70 hours of free venue use in our Studio spaces and/or Emerging Artists room.
- Mentorship and support to help you in your creative process, in whatever way works for you.
- Opportunities to connect with a community of creative collaborators, present works-in-progress, and receive feedback from peers, mentors and industry.
- Access to our industry and peer networks from across Australia.
- Support from Canberra Youth Theatre staff for the development of your professional career pathways.
- Projects led by, or with a majority of, artists 25 years and under are eligible to apply;
- Applicants outside of this age range must be developing work that is made for or with children and young people (under 18).
How to Apply
Open Studio applications are open now, and there is no set deadline to apply. Applications are assessed as they are received, and we encourage you to apply early and with as much lead time as possible. While we will do our best to get back to artists as soon as possible, please allow up to 3 weeks for us to respond.
Applications are to be submitted using the online form HERE.
- An application is submitted by the artist or collective.
- We will endeavour to respond via email within 3 weeks.
- Short-listed applicants will be invited to an interview to discuss the details of their project.
- Applicants will then be notified of the outcome of their application.
- Successful applicants will then be invited to begin their residency with a consultation session with Canberra Youth Theatre to identify the goals and timeline for the project.
Applications will be assessed by Canberra Youth Theatre staff using the following criteria:
- The project is led by artist/s aged 25 and under OR the project is developing work for children and young people (under 18).
- Clear articulation of the project proposal.
- Strength and viability of the proposal.
- Potential impact of the residency on the career or practice of the artist/s.
- How your idea aligns with the values of Canberra Youth Theatre.
Our Emerging Artists programs are made possible thanks to the
Jeremy Spencer Broom Legacy.